John,

You are correct. Any product when placed into use is considered to
have been 'placed on the market', even if it is not sold. CE Marking
requirements apply. Also, be aware of the 'Safety of workers at work'
directive, the analog to the US OSHA regulations. This directive
requires that CE marked products are used in the workplace.

--
Doug Nix

Office: (519) 650-4753
Mobile (519) 729-5704