In message <p0624081ac86dae3619cc@[192.168.1.43]>, dated Thu, 22 Jul
2010, Nick Williams <nick.willi...@conformance.co.uk> writes:

>Having said that, I would also tend to agree with the view that for
>volume consumer products there is often value in making someone with a
>sales role take responsibility for the Declaration since it tends to
>make them realise that there is more to business than simply shifting
>product to customers at the maximum rate.

It would be difficult to find anyone in Sales or Marketing in many
companies who has enough technical insight to know whether to sign off
or not, and many would be more motivated by 'time to market' issues.

However, I do think that Marketing and Sales should understand that the
costs of compliance with Directives and other governmental regulations
are not engineering development costs but costs incurred for being
present in the market. In that sense, they resemble advertising and
other publicity costs, beside which they are usually insignificant.
I should be disillusioned, but it's not worth the effort.
But I support unbloated email http://www.asciiribbon.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>