From: Brian Oconnell [mailto:oconne...@tamuracorp.com]
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 4:39 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] CE Marking Provoqium

The assertions were "In the USA, I think there is no law requiring safety
approval.
But local AHJ's, authorities having jurisdiction, and insurance providers,
etc. can require as a business item, that devices are 'approved'
That 'requirement' won't change because it is not regulated by the
government."

My reply was simply "29 CFR 1910". While local AHJs may or may not require
certification for equipment and materials in both residential and
commercial, the federal code is a statute; it is not policy. There is are
federal 'laws' that require safety certification for equipment used on
commercial sites. And the federal laws indicate that while local authorities
can pass policy or code to regulate safety of equipment, the requirements of
local code for the workplace must at least meet federal law.

I have had this problem with each new manager or executive - "There is no
law requiring any of this."

Ok, we will just sell this 500kVA, 477V transformer for use in private homes
only...

Brian