From:   "Ed Price" <edpr...@cox.net>
To:     <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Date:   08/20/2012 08:03 PM
Subject:        RE: [PSES] 61000-4-3: Rate of application of field
Sent by:        emc-p...@ieee.org

Ken:

The biggest difference I see was that I called it ?rare? and you said it
was ?very unlikely,? so that?s not much of a fight. J

To dip back into one very interesting program, I was running the qual
testing on some soldier-worn electronics. We were doing the typical RS103
exposure of 50 V/M using 1 kHz 50% duty cycle modulation. We had some
marginal improper responses (stuttering of the expected response & false
positive responses) at a few harmonically related frequencies in the low
HF region. So, we go into the usual try-everything-we-can-think-of mode,
the sorry-but-ferrite-beads-won?t-help 1 MHz mode, and then the
let?s-try-anything mode. I?m sitting there watching the false responses
mess up the error rate, and I inadvertently move the modulation frequency
just a bit downward. Wow, the system crashed like a rock! It turns out
that the system had some broadly resonant responses (hence the
harmonically related HF points) that let energy in, but the real killer
was the modulation rate. The system really hated (IIRC) something around
960 Hz modulation (pulse or AM didn?t matter), although it would tolerate
strong CW at any frequency. The system gurus later explained this as my
modulation rate syncing with a harmonic of their data sampling rate; if I
was just a bit off, then their error correction algorithm could cover the
loss of data. However, if I was right on them, then every time they
sampled, I had an RF jolt right in their front end.

The lesson was that 461 suggested we use 1 kHz as a default, but if we had
studied the system with more diligence, we might have seen that some other
modulation (960 Hz) would have been more a much more harsh condition. And
of course, 461 testing is all about finding that worst-case scenario, not
just proving that your gadget works most of the time. Thus, I often used
modulations beyond the popular 1 kHz, 100 Hz, 1 Hz, 1 uS, 50% pulses  and
AM stuff. (Which is all probably pretty boring to the commercial and EN
guys on this list, so sorry.)

Ed Price
El Cajon, CA
USA