>From the photo, I believe we see two wire nuts, the plastic cases of
which have fused together.  One wire nut connects the two black
(live) wires, and one wire nut connects the two white (neutral) wires.
(Note the smoke deposits on the white wires.)

A yellow wire nut is rated for minimum 2 #18 up to 4 #14.  So, I
suspect that each wire nut connects 2 #14 wires, where #14 is
the most common 120-V, 15-A wire.

I doubt the overheating resulted in a L-N short because such a short
would have resulted in arcing (no evidence) and burning of the
plastic, and considerably more overheating.  Of course, if such a
short did occur, then the overcurrent device operated quickly and
prevented further heating.

My hypothesis is that the two wire nuts were in contact with each
other.  And the load was quite high, resulting in heating of the
contact resistance in both wire nuts.  The plastic melted, the two
nuts fused together, and the wires touched.  Since the load was
already quite high, the overcurrent device  was near its operating
current, and the overcurrent device operated quickly before any
further damage was done.

Other hypotheses?

I wouldn't blackball wire nuts.  My house has lots of wire nuts
in its electrical installation;  no failures after 25 years!

Best regards,
Rich