From: Joe Randolph [mailto:j...@randolph-telecom.com]
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 12:43 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] POE creepage & clearances

Hi Ian:

I think the short answer to your question is that under 60950 there are no
requirements for creepage and clearance distance between the Ethernet circuit
and ordinary SELV circuits that are user-contactable.  This is because under
60950, Ethernet is classified as an SELV circuit.  There are no requirements to
separate one SELV circuit from another.

Where this issue becomes confusing is that under the Ethernet 802.3 standard,
an Ethernet port must provide a 1500 VRMS isolation barrier between the
Ethernet conductors and earth.  This is a legacy requirement whose origins seem
to have been lost in the sands of time.  However, I believe the consensus view
is that the original intent of this requirement was to protect against ground
loops and was not related to user safety.  Nevertheless, the 802.3 isolation
requirement has sometimes been treated as though it is a safety requirement.
Note that the 802.3 requirement is for a simple dielectric test, with no
reference to creepage, clearance, or distance through solid insulation.

So, in principle, there are no safety isolation requirements for your
application, since both of the proposed power supplies have a SELV output.
This makes the entire device a SELV circuit (unless there are other ports on
the device that are not SELV).

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.
781-721-2848 (USA)
j...@randolph-telecom.com<mailto:j...@randolph-telecom.com>
http://www.randolph-telecom.com<http://www.randolph-telecom.com/>

Dear colleagues

We are developing a hand held product that is powered from +48V DC over
Ethernet or from an external +12V DC wall wart PSU. The maximum internal
voltage will be the +48V POE.
Can anyone let me know what the creepage and clearance requirements between the
?primary? Ethernet circuit and the ?secondary? circuit.
The product will be tested to IEC 60950 or possibly IEC 60065 so I am assuming
a safety isolation creepage & clearance is required.

Many thanks in advance;

Ian McBurney
Design Engineer

Allen & Heath Ltd