 From: "ralph.mcdiar...@schneider-electric.com"
<ralph.mcdiar...@schneider-electric.com>
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 7:21 PM
Subject: Re: [PSES] POE creepage & clearances

The external DC power supply needs to be
SELV too, not just energy limited.

Ralph McDiarmid  |  Schneider Electric   |  Solar
Business  |   CANADA  |   Regulatory
Compliance Engineering

From:  Ron Pickard <rpick...@equinoxpayments.com>
To:  EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG,
Date:  11/26/2012 12:38 PM
________________________________

Hi Joe,
I agree that an Ethernet circuit would
be considered to be an SELV circuit and that would be true if the POE circuit
were completely on premise generally, which would categorize this as a
Class III product according to IEC/UL 60950-1 2nd Ed. given
that the external power supply is a limited power source (LPS). However,
TNV-1 creepage/clearance requirements would apply if the POE were to be
exposed to overvoltages from telecommunication networks (essentially off
premise) requiring Basic insulation. I make this distinction as Ian did
not mention where the POE circuit originates.

Best regards,

Ron