The Fault Tree Analysis appears to be a decent tool for determining safety
concerns with a fully compliant listed/certified product, because it makes
the team address things like multiple fault scenarios and foreseeable
misuse.
It is subjective in nature, because many assumptions need to be made about
the probability of an event happening, so it requires some conservative
thinking when working with terminology like "improbable", "inconceivable",
"known to happen", etc.

e.g.  a Y-cap shorts &  chassis is left ungrounded & user touches chassis
(assign an approximate probability to each one of those and you get an
idea of how the fault tree is assembled)

It can be a real "eye-opener"

Ralph McDiarmid  |   Schneider Electric   |  Solar Business  |   CANADA  |
  Regulatory Compliance Engineering