Hi Scott:

Your explanation makes sense but it presumes the SPD shunts the current to ground.

It would appear to me that the SPD is allowed to simply bridge the isolation barrier.  That is the aspect that seems contradictory to me.

In 60950-1 clauses 6.1.2 and 6.2 (the ones I work with most frequently) there is no explicit requirement that the SPD be connected to a reliable ground.  Rather, it is simply allowed to bridge the isolation barrier.  Based on quick read of clause 5.2.2, the situation would appear to be similar there as well.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.
781-721-2848 (USA)
j...@randolph-telecom.com
http://www.randolph-telecom.com

Throwing in my 2 cents:

Hipot test values are based on expected transients. The concern with the transient overvoltages is that they could punch through insulation needed for safety and subsequently hazardous voltages can be allowed to reach areas where they should not. The function of an SPD is to limit the level of transient overvoltages that propagate through the equipment. If the SPD functions correctly, the insulation should not be stressed by the transients since the SPD shunts the surge current to ground. In other words, the function of the SPD makes it different from the other insulation barriers. While the other barriers must withstand the transient overvoltages, the SPD functions to limit them. Because of the difference in function, it is appropriate to test them differently, or to treat them differently during test.

As Rich stated, an SPD may not be reliable in its function to limit the transient overvoltages (for example SPDs are often themselves protected by fusing which then leaves the SPD function inoperable if the fuse opens), so it is appropriate to test the rest of the insulation as if the SPD were not present.

Scott Aldous
Compliance Manager/Engineering Lab Manager
AE Solar Energy

  +1.970.492.2065 Direct
  +1.970.407.5872 Fax
  +1.541.312.3832 Main