Just to add to the conversation, I will throw in a little practicality…….

There are two primary compliance routes for manufacturers to use the RE
Directive, as with the R&TTE Directive.

A manufacturer can fully apply the harmonised standards.

Or, a manufacturer can consult a Notified Body to obtain an opinion when
harmonised standards are not fully applied.

(I guess you could also add that there is the option for a quality assessment
(Annex V of R&TTE), using a Notified Body).

For the RE Directive:

There are no harmonised standards.

There are no Notified Bodies.

So, from a practical point of view, it is also impossible.

Michael.

Michael Derby

Senior Regulatory Engineer

Director