Hi Charlie,
You made an interesting statement. You said "I don’t have it formally, but you can’t legally declare compliance with something that is not in force at the time you sign it". You made a mistake by including the statement is "in force". We do have a formal published Europa statement in both the EMC Directive 2014/30/EU and the Low Voltage Directive 2014/35/EU that: "This directive *_shall_* enter into force on the twentieth day following that of its publication in the Official Journal of the European Union." (Emphasis on "shall" is mine.) Both were published in the Official Journal on 29 March 2014, so both are in force as of 18 April 2014. Europe wisely gave manufacturers two years to transition to the new directives, so products may continue to be sold in Europe with CE marks that only comply with the old directives until 20 April 2016, but on 20 April 2016 the new directives become mandatory.

As we have seen on this chat group, you are not alone in your view. Some people I highly respect (that group includes you) share your view. They believe that Europe will only allow products having a DOC listing only the old directives until 11:59pm, 19 April 2016; then someone from each company must immediately sign new DOCs to maintain the product CE marks at precisely midnight (or 12:00am) on 20 April 2016 (Wednesday). What is not clear is which time zone should be used for signing this DOC, or if one must keep re-signing a DOC again each hour of the European time zones. I make this point because USA manufacturers may be eight hours behind Europe and miss a whole day of imports and sales in Europe if we were to just use the date & time of the manufacturer's time zone (the one signing the DOC). Because this is so unreasonable, one person stated on this PSES chat that they had a private conversation with an unnamed official that said that UK won't enforce the Europe laws (the new directives) for the first year to provide an unofficial transition period ... but that same official would not put that into writing. Instead, I believe it makes more sense for Europe to implement what is actually written in the directives which already provides a reasonable two year transition period between the new directives going into force (18 April 2014) and the old directives being repealed (20 April 2016).

Let me open up an additional debate issue. For the transition, I recommend declaring to both the old and the new directives. These directives are compatible (no conflicts), so your product can comply with both. I suggest DOC wording similar to what is listed below:
- - - - - - - - - - -
This product complies with the requirements of the European Union directives listed below:
 2014/35/EU (2006/95/EC)  Low Voltage Directive
 2014/30/EU (2004/108/EC) EMC Directive
2011/65/EU (2002/95/EC) Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) Directive
- - - - - - - - - - -

I have heard some say that one may not cite both old & new directives on the same DOC, but I have never seen anything official from Europa that prohibits this.

Thanks.
Monrad
<http://www.oracle.com>
On 3/24/2015 7:44 AM, Charlie Blackham wrote:

Monrad

I should have just put the *shall apply from 20 April 2016*into bold, and not just the Annex.

> Please provide an official European Union (EU) document that confirms that "Declarations against these new Directives cannot be issued until 20 April 2016 as they have no legal standing until then."

I don’t have it formally, but you can’t legally declare compliance with something that is not in force at the time you sign it and http://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/electrical-engineering/directives/index_en.htm states

*New LVD Directive 2014/35/EU*

As of 20 April 2016, Directive 2006/95/EC will be repealed by the new LVD Directive 2014/35/EU. This directive is aligned to the New Legislative Framework policy. Nevertheless, Directive 2014/35/EU will keep the same scope and safety objectives as Directive 2006/95/EC.

And

*New EMC Directive (2014/30/EU)*

In February 2014, the European Parliament and Council issued a new EMC Directive aligned to the New Legislative Framework. This new Directive will be applicable from 20 April 2016.

The new Directives have an article on “repeal” of the old directive – a similar clause is contained in 2011/65/EU which came into force in a “planned way” on 2^nd January 2013

Additionally, Lists of Harmonised Standards will not be published until close to the date in April, and whilst they’re not mandatory, without them there can be no “presumption of conformity”

The main changes are to economic operators in the supply chain, and not to manufacturers, unless their products fall into scope of the Radio Equipment Directive and so move out of scope of EMC/LVD a little bit late in June 2016.

Regards

Charlie