From: Patrick
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2015 5:13 PM
To: doug...@gmail.com
Cc: EMC-PSTC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [PSES] Stricter limits than legal (CISPR11, IEC, etc,) Where?

Ahhh, our old friend: "Margin".
Margin is one of those timeless EMC topics.

IMHO- there is simply no evidence that margin is helpful.

In a practical sense we all know that a "single-measurement-plus-margin" is not a confidence builder.
As an example, think about the last time you worked on your home wiring.
How many times did you read that multi-meter before you touched the wires?
Did you read it just once?  Then add some margin?

Nope- I'll bet you did like me:  I read that meter, and double-read it.
Then I read it again.
One measurement is simply not enough to build confidence.

Next time someone asks you for "reasonable margin" ask them about their last wiring project....

-Patrick
OOO.