From: Doug Powell [mailto:doug...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 7:49 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [PSES] Shorting switch - appropriate markings

Hello all,

As we all know there are a variety of ON & OFF symbols available with slightly
different usage depending on the situation.

IEC 60417-5007 Power ON
IEC 60417-5008 Power OFF
IEC 60417-5009 Standby
IEC 60417-5010 ON-OFF
IEC 60417-5011 ON/OFF, push button
IEEE 1621 Sleep Mode

I now have a situation where I want to use a shorting switch on equipment to
prevent a stored energy hazard while in maintenance mode. The idea is to
provide instructions on how to discharge the equipment and then close the
switch to prevent a voltage build up until maintenance is complete, then open
the switch.  My concern is identifying the appropriate symbol to place next to
the switch positions.  None of the above seem appropriate.  In addition I have
searched through  ISO 7000 and 7010 with no luck.

Can anyone suggest an internationally recognized symbol for this purpose?

Thanks,  Doug
​

--

Douglas E Powell