Hi Doug,

It might be worth looking into practices for MV switchgear, where circuits
are sometimes grounded during maintenance (not the same thing, but a
similar concept). Here is an example from Siemens:

http://www.energy.siemens.com/us/pool/us/power-distribution/ansi-standard-products/medium-voltage-switchgear/metal-enclosed-load-interrupter-switchgear-type-simosec-5-kv-27-6kv/SIMOSEC%20ANSI_02_final.pdf

Fig. 8 shows a diagram of the 3 position switch design that prevents
accidental shorting of the supply to ground. It's a little hard to see the
detail, but Fig. 5 shows some markings for the switch position indication
(and a warning on the same panel that isn't good enough resolution to
actually read), but no standard symbols are used, only English. Reliance on
restriction of access to qualified individuals only might make the use of
symbols less common with MV equipment, but maybe there are better examples
out there.

--
Scott Aldous | Regulatory Compliance Program Manager |
scottald...@google.com | 650-253-1994