Frank --

There is a book that was recently published that provides a fine overview of
our profession as applied to electrical products. It is titled Electrical
Product Compliance and Safety Engineering, by Steli Loznen, Constantin
Bolintineanu, and Jan Swart. You can see the Table of Contents and the first
two chapters on Google Books here:

https://books.google.com/books/about/Electrical_Product_Compliance_and_Safety.html?id=24Q0DwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

https://books.google.com/books/about/Electrical_Product_Compliance_and_Safety.html?id=24Q0DwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

Mike Sherman