Hi Bostjan,

This is an interesting question. A few thoughts:

   - Have you measured the touch current? Per 5.2.2.5 for repetitive
   pulses, if the voltage exceeds the limit of Table 8, then the current shall
   not exceed the limit. So if your peak touch current is less than 0.707 mA,
   ES1 classification is OK independently of which voltage limit you apply.
   - This is supported by the description of ES2 in 5.2.1.2, which requires
   an ES2 circuit to exceed *both* the ES1 prospective touch voltage limit
   and the ES1 touch current limit.
   - 0.707mA appears to be the most stringent touch current limit from
   Table 4, so if you don't exceed this value it doesn't really matter if you
   classify it as a repetitive peak voltage or combined ac/dc.
   - If you don't like the touch current route, you could probably make an
   argument for treating the longer pulse as combined ac/dc. It does have a
   frequency and does not meet the definition of d.c. voltage in 3.3.14.1, but
   single pulses with off time >3s use the dc limits for ES1 based on Tables 6
   and 7. So you could consider the single pulse portion as not actually dc,
   but that the dc limits are appropriate to apply.

The touch current route is cleaner as it is clearly supported in the
standard.

--
Scott Aldous | Regulatory Compliance Program Manager |
scottald...@google.com | 650-253-1994