From: "Pete Perkins" <peperkin...@cs.com>
To: "Mick Maytum" <mjmay...@gmail.com>; EMC-PSTC@listserv.ieee.org
Sent: 13/03/2019 06:11:38
Subject: RE: [PSES] classification of the output

Mick,     Thanx for the reply given on this thread.

I am familiar with the 60479 clauses you describe. My overall comment is that 60479 folks primary focus is on preventing VF (not killing people). Much of what you quoted relates to such electric shock situations. Because of the data spread there probably are a few folks who lie below the curves shown in the standard. Tasers meet these requirements yet there are occasional deaths with their use; the ‘almost perfect weapon’ in my opinion.

In the product standards the allowed electric shock level is always set much lower so that the VF region is not involved. The upper limit to electric shock from equipment is the Letgo-immobilization limit of 5mArms/7mApk under fault conditions. The long time separation to allow the heart to reset doesn’t come into play for this effect so it is irrelevant. The peak current is the major factor that needs to be controlled.

:>)     br,      Pete

Peter E Perkins, PE

Principal Product Safety & Regulatory Affairs Consultant

PO Box 23427

Tigard, ORe  97281-3427

503/452-1201

IEEE Life Fellow