I think this is another example of the high standard you set. Please see my responses below.

Best wishes
John Woodgate OOO-Own Opinions Only
J M Woodgate and Associates www.woodjohn.uk
Rayleigh, Essex UK

On 2019-08-24 09:29, Gert Gremmen wrote:

The discussion on languages and grammar has been very useful.

I would like your opinion and answers on the following standards clause, as found in a concept cited harmonised EMC product family standard:

/If hardware or software are modified subsequent to the completion of the tests described in this standard// //an impact analysis shall be carried out and it shall be decided whether the EMC test shall be repeated as // //a whole, in parts or not at all. Impact analysis and decision shall be added to the EMC test plan for the////apparatus./

I have some questions on this clause:

 1. What is this clause doing in a standard describing technical
    requirements for an apparatus?

/JMW: Because the committee decided it was necessary. /

 1. Shouldn't this be part of a basic standard describing the test method?

/JMW: Very possibly, but it can be difficult and cause a long delay for one committee, that decides that hardware and software changes should be addressed, to refer that to the a Basic standard committee and wait some years for that committee to agree to amend its Basic standard and publish it./

 1. Who should carry out the impact analysis (not the manufacturer of
    course) and decide on what retesting to do?

/JMW: Only the manufacturer knows enough about the hardware and software to do the assessment. Besides, no-one can take away the manufacturer's responsibility for compliance./

 1. Why this should be made part of the test plan and not in the test
    report?

/JMW: It's probably a mis-wording that no-one noticed. But the test plan should certainly document what to do about hardware and software changes after testing./

The principle of EMC- testing equipment, is that a full test is required upon any modification, as a modification makes it a a different equipment, but i also understand that a strict interpretation of this might lead to excessive test costs, and some test reductions are possible based on EMC expertise , experience in testing and knowledge of the equipment. I also consider that the EMC-directive is requiring as assessment and not testing (though testing seems an essential part of assessing and test reports are mentioned explicitly in the EMCD annexes.

But there is much more to say about an impact analysis than a simple clause .....

How would you treat the problem of infinite testing, -to-be-sure-, versus realistic testing, and how would you implement such a "impact analysis" in the different standards, in the light of creating HS with legal effects.

/JMW: I can't understand why the court ruling about ENs being 'sort-of' laws hasn't been challenged.  As a result of it, the correct decision that some ETSI standards that left crucial provisions to be agreed between the manufacturer and the test house cannot be permitted has been vastly over-interpreted to mean effectively that even the word 'manufacturer' cannot be mentioned. For example, it is not being allowed to say that the manufacturer provides the performance specification of the product. There are even hints that some legal people believe that every product of a given type, e.g electric fan, should have the same performance! Do we expect all cars to have the same performance as a Bugatti supercar?//
/

//

Gert Gremmen

--