/

"I can assure you that manufacturers will be able to define the properties of their equipment."

That is not how the rewrite of the EMC immunity criteria is being constrained. It seems to have been ruled that 'manufacturer' cannot be mentioned at all.
//

Best wishes
John Woodgate OOO-Own Opinions Only
J M Woodgate and Associates www.woodjohn.uk
Rayleigh, Essex UK

On 2019-08-24 11:51, Gert Gremmen wrote:

These very high standards (as you call it) are just part of the requirements as given in ER3, for example, and are being part of the current way the EU assesses standards in the current situation, where standards text have become part of law -so-to-say- .

> /I can't understand why the court ruling about ENs being 'sort-of' laws hasn't been challenged./

This decision cannot be challenged anymore as it is confirmed by the highest EU legal authorities. It makes no sense to complain about a status quo.

>/Because the committee decided it was necessary./

I won't challenge the committee technical expertise, but it makes no sense writing about things that are not covered by title, scope and foreword of the standard. The standard is to describe the (minimum) technical requirements of the equipment in the field of EMC. The TC should stay on their chair, defining requirements, and not mix the interests of the standard with those of the  manufacturer.

>/I can't understand why the court ruling about ENs being 'sort-of' laws hasn't been challenged.  As a result of it, the correct decision that some ETSI standards that left crucial provisions to be agreed between the manufacturer and the test house cannot be permitted has been vastly over-interpreted to mean effectively that even the word 'manufacturer' cannot be mentioned. For example, it is not being allowed to say that the manufacturer provides the performance specification of the product. There are even hints that some legal people believe that every product of a given type, e.g electric fan, should have the same performance! Do we expect all cars to have the same performance as a Bugatti supercar?/

This is an oversimplification of what happens in reality/. /I am one of the three assessors for ETSI standards and i can assure you that this does not happen. As it comes to performance/, /only aspects that _are common to all cars _(to keep your analogy) need to comply with a kind of common property. A analogy could be the performance of tyres or brakes, that need to be suitable for the car under test. So if you say the same "relative performance" your analogy makes sense and, indeed, that is what happens. All radio devices use a common medium (ether) and the standards have to make sure every apparatus uses not more spectrum space and power than required for its defined purpose.

>/left crucial provisions to be agreed between the manufacturer and the test house cannot be permitted/

Of course the manufacturer should not be able to negotiate crucial (test) aspects with a test-house. The interest of the manufacturer, is a completely different one that that of the EU maintaining standards and the test house, where accredited, needs to remain independent. Negotiation with its client would jeopardize its accreditation anyway. I can assure you that manufacturers will be able to define the properties of their equipment. Its true that the word "manufacturer" has been subject of challenges in many cases where there could be some misuse by (Euro-English) statements that allowed impacting the effectiveness of the standards tests.

An example i found is where the standard defines the requirements for mobile (automotive) radio and there was no minimum requirement for the temperature range in which the frequency stability was to be maintained. (environmental profile to be negotiated between manufacturer and test agency). The standard thus allowed the test to be carried out from 30-35 oC (as example). Within the EU market that is not a realistic minimum requirement as the equipment was for outdoor use, so it was suggested to add a minimum range more representative to EU climates.

John, thanks for your opinion anyway (but feel free to continue the discussions)

Gert Gremmen