*Last week I had the honor of presenting to the IEEE PSES Virtual Chapter
where I discussed OSHA's Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL)
Program.  There were a number of questions that were asked that I was
unable to get to, so I wanted to share the questions and answers below.*

*A note - As I am posting this from my personal account and these answers
have not been reviewed by OSHA Legal Counsel or agency leadership, these
answers reflect my own personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect
the opinion of OSHA.  For more official responses to these or any
questions, please contact me at robinson.ke...@dol.gov
<robinson.ke...@dol.gov> *

*QUESTION:*

This is a very good topic as our European colleagues understand CE marking
but get confused with NRTL requirements.  Does OSHA feel CE is not enough
and that the additional NRTL requirements are mandatory for the USA.  Any
plans to harmonize with the EU on CE?

*ANSWER:*

OSHA Explored this in 2008 in the form of a Request for Information.  You
can view the original request and comments from the public at:
https://beta.regulations.gov/docket/OSHA-2008-0032/document

OSHA’s final decision on this matter can be found at:
https://beta.regulations.gov/document/OSHA-2008-0032-0099

*QUESTION:*

How does OSHA ensure competency to the older (non-IEC) UL standards
overseas? For example, there was a lawsuit against [a NRTL] that they lost,
where the expertise for the standards were present in the US, but not by
those overseas that were actually doing the work. We have seen subpar work
coming from overseas often. Does OSHA consider the current system
sufficient in this regard to oversee these overseas efforts? How does OSHA
determine competency when it is not using the standards itself and doesn't
evaluate products?

*ANSWER:*

OSHA conducts regular assessments of NRTL locations around the world and as
we increase staffing, we are increasing the number of assessments we do
every year.  In addition, we regularly review complaints that come into the
NRTL Program office as well as complaints and incidents that may be
received by the NRTL.  If OSHA notes a deficiency during an assessment, the
NRTL is given an opportunity to correct the deficiency.  In the rare
instance that a NRTL is unable to adequately address the deficiency OSHA
will take the necessary corrective action up to and including reduction in
the NRTL’s scope of recognition to remove the sites(s) that present a
problem or full revocation of NRTL recognition.  Thankfully this is very
rare.

*QUESTION:*

What are the occupational safety provisions of the NEC? E.g., is it the
whole document or just certain sections. If the latter, which ones?

*ANSWER:*

OSHA Regulations largely refer to NFPA 70E which applies directly to the
workplace.  That said, many of the test standards recognized under the NRTL
Program reference the NEC (NFPA 70) and as the NEC addresses electrical
equipment and installations in the workplace it would apply.  Local AHJs
largely enforce the NEC.

*QUESTION:*

There appears to be a misunderstanding by many that NRTL approval only
applies to to AC powered equipment (110V). It applies to DC & low voltage
AC as well, correct?

*ANSWER:*

OSHA regulations, specifically Subpart S of the Occupational Safety and
Health Act https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910
applies to “Utilization Equipment”
https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910/1910.302 .
Utilization Equipment is defined as “Equipment that utilizes electric
energy for electronic, electromechanical, chemical, heating, lighting, or
similar purposes.”
https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910/1910.399 .
This is a very broad definition which does not limit the equipment based on
voltage, current draw, or type of power source.

*QUESTION:*

For UL traditionally, the word Listed and unique mark relative to UL
Recognition for components has been used. Local ordinances will often
specify Listing (not certifications or approvals). Most NRTLs have the same
marks for components and end products, without specifying Listing; does
OSHA consider this acceptable? Also, native European certification bodies
use certificates as the basis of certification, and the mark is not
required to be on the product, but are still considered approved. It seems
the presence of the Mark on the product, which has been the US way over the
years has been changing with infusion of other NRTLs. Is the Mark on the
product required to prove the product complies, or is a certificate? Is the
word Listed not required for other NRTLs and UL is just being more thorough?

*ANSWER:*

The NRTL Program applies only to end product certifications.  “Components”
(ex. open frame power supplies, transformers, wiring printed wiring boards
and others) typically do not fully address all of the safety requirements
in the applicable test standard and some hazards have not been fully
investigated as part of the certification.  Certain conditions are placed
on component certifications that must be addressed in the end product.
Components not integrated into, or evaluated as part of an end product
certification are incomplete and are therefore not acceptable to OSHA.

OSHA determines an installation or equipment is acceptable to the Assistant
Secretary of Labor, and approved within the meaning of Subpart S of the
Occupational Safety and Health Act:

 (1) If it is accepted, or certified, or listed, or labeled, or otherwise
determined to be safe by a nationally recognized testing laboratory
recognized pursuant to § 1910.7; or

(2) With respect to an installation or equipment of a kind that no
nationally recognized testing laboratory accepts, certifies, lists, labels,
or determines to be safe, if it is inspected or tested by another Federal
agency, or by a State, municipal, or other local authority responsible for
enforcing occupational safety provisions of the National Electrical Code,
and found in compliance with the provisions of the National Electrical Code
as applied in this subpart; or

(3) With respect to custom-made equipment or related installations that are
designed, fabricated for, and intended for use by a particular customer, if
it is determined to be safe for its intended use by its manufacturer on the
basis of test data which the employer keeps and makes available for
inspection to the Assistant Secretary and his authorized representatives.

The NRTL Program Directive (Annex B 4.1B) requires the certification mark
of a NRTL to be applied to the product unless the size of the product makes
applying the mark impossible
https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/enforcement/directives/CPL_01-00-004.pdf

*QUESTION:*

Does OSHA recognize (or more importantly...approve) the widely used Field
evaluation process conducted by some NRTLs? If not, then why not? If the
Field evaluation is conducted whereby OSHA does not recognize this process,
is it assumed that the product is not compliant 'federally' but
'accepted/compliant' locally?

*ANSWER:*

OSHA regulations do not address what are typically referred to as “Field
Evaluations” or “Field Inspections”.  Field evaluations/inspections are
typically non-destructive investigations that address only a portion of the
requirements in a specific test standard.  The work is typically done at
the location of the end installation and is often done on unique or one of
a kind pieces of equipment.

Kevin Robinson