Charlie,

Kapton is a Dupont registered trademark for polyimide film (not polyamide
which is nylon).  Uncertain, you can construct an enclosure with this.

However, I have seen the use of machined or molded blocks of polyimide
(Ultemâ„¢ 1000, Sabic) because of its nice flammability, thermal ratings and
good dielectric strength.  And here were a few drawbacks.  One was chemical
compatibility, it reacted to certain solvents which embrittled the
material and the use of torqued fasteners which caused corners to cleave
off.  One other concern, as an insulator, polyimide generally has a
tracking index of CTI IIIa, b rating (UL 746, PLC 4), so you will have to
account for that if you are evaluating creepage distances. Of course,
depending on your exact selection of the material, your mileage may vary.

Ref.: http://www.matweb.com/search/QuickText.aspx?SearchText=ultem

-Doug

Douglas E Powell
Laporte, Colorado USA