Use of shock hazard limits in terms of voltage in product safety standards
is already a simplification. See IEC 60479-1 and -2. You can find the free
preview of IEC 60479-1 here
<https://webstore.iec.ch/preview/info_iec60479-1%7Bed1.0%7Den.pdf>, with a
good high level discussion in the scope.

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 2:26 PM Ralph McDiarmid <rmm.priv...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I suspect many of the standards committee have merely adopted the Vpeak
> limit from other standards without giving it much thought.  Note that
> 42.4Vpk is just root2 x 30Vrms.  That seems to be all there is to it and I
> doubt it’s mere coincidence.  (60Vdc/30Vrms/42.4Vpk found in several
> standards)
>

> I went back to first principles, did the integration of a d.c pulsed
> waveform and then again for an a.c. waveform with same amplitude, same duty
> ratio.  I found a much higher effective value (RMS) with the a.c. waveform
> having sample amplitude and pulse duty ratio.  For example, Root2 higher
> for 50% duty cycle and Root10 higher for 10% duty cycle.
>

> Now, the NRTL won’t be interested in any of that, but you need to weigh
> the intent of the standard versus any other risk analysis might do above
> and beyond the “letter of the law” before deciding on whether those
> terminals are in fact shock hazardous.  It’s your product, your call, your
> corporate reputation, so whatever the decision, it needs to be justified
> with due diligence.
>

> I would say your power supply output as described satisfies the criteria
> of “limit values for accessible parts” as defined in IEC61010 3rd
> edition.  (33 Vrms, 33xroot2 Vpeak, and 70 Vdc )   A project holder at an
> NRTL might disagree.
>

> Ralph

Scott Aldous | Regulatory Compliance Manager | scottald...@google.com |
 650-253-1994