Then again, what is the effective value of the 42Vpeak pulsed d.c. ?  Does
it exceed the Vrms limit at your highest duty ratio?   You mentioned a 0.01%
minimum on-time, but what is the maximum?

From: James Pawson (U3C) <ja...@unit3compliance.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2024 5:38 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [PSES] 61010-1 hazardous live classification

Hello all,

I hope this safety question is a fairly simple one for you, it being Monday
after all.

1.      A piece of equipment with a power supply output for driving a lamp.
It has two modes, DC and pulsed.
2.      Both of the output voltage connections are on accessible terminals
(checked using finger probe)
3.      Classifying voltages as per EN 61010-1 clause 6.3.1 (limit values
for accessible parts, normal operating conditions)
4.      DC mode runs at 46Vdc maximum. This is less than 60Vdc so is not
Hazardous Live
5.      Pulse mode runs at 46Vdc pulsed (frequency up to 1kHz, duty cycle
can vary down to 0.01%) which is an AC waveform greater than 42.4V peak so
is Hazardous Live
6.      The output from the equipment is low impedance so is more than
capable of sourcing the required 0.7mA through the IEC 60990 body model.

Quick sketch attached to illustrate the concept. I even ran a SPICE
simulation to make sure I wasn't getting something wrong.

I would appreciate the sanity check!

All the best

James

James Pawson

Managing Director & EMC Problem Solver

Unit 3 Compliance Ltd

EMC : Environmental & Vibration : Electrical Safety : CE & UKCA :
Consultancy

www.unit3compliance.co.uk <http://www.unit3compliance.co.uk/>  |
ja...@unit3compliance.co.uk <mailto:ja...@unit3compliance.co.uk>

+44(0)1274 911747  |  +44(0)7811 139957

2 Wellington Business Park, New Lane, Bradford, BD4 8AL

Registered in England and Wales # 10574298

Office hours:

Every morning my full attention is on consultancy, testing, and
troubleshooting activities for our customers' projects. I'm
available/contactable between 1300h to 1730h Mon/Tue/Thurs/Fri.

For inquiries, bookings, and testing updates please send us an email on
<mailto:he...@unit3compliance.co.uk> he...@unit3compliance.co.uk or call
01274 911747. Our lead times for testing and consultancy are typically 4-5
weeks.

  _____

EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG <mailto:EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>

https://www.mail-archive.com/emc-pstc@listserv.ieee.org/