On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 12:02:25PM -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
> Stepgen has a position-cmd input, but you really
> want to feed it a velocity.  I suppose you could keep your own
> position counter, and increment or decrement it every servo
> cycle to generate steps at the desired rate.  Probably you don't
> need velocity ramping for this application.

In emc 2.1, there are "stepgen", "freqgen" and "pwmgen".

If you want a "step & direction signal with frequency (velocity) input",
use "freqgen".  If you want a pwm or "interleaved pwm" signal, choose
"pwmgen".

In emc 2.2, the "step & direction with frequency (velocity) input" mode
is integrated into stepgen.

For each of these components there is a manual page showing the
avaialble connections.  Type "man stepgen" (etc) at the terminal prompt, or
view the manual pages online:
    http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.1/html/man/man9/stepgen.9.html (also covers
freqgen)
    http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.1/html/man/man9/pwmgen.9.html