I am using EMC2 and a gecko servo drive to drive a servo I have
mounted on my Millrite.
When I set the max speed to 1.0 (I think that is 1 ips or 60 ipm) I
get an error saying that the velocity is too high.
I the motor/encoder/gecko drive require 2000 steps per rev and the
lead screw is 5 tpi and I have a 4 to one timing belt pulley
reduction between the motor and the axis so the input scale is 2000 x
4 x 5 or 40,000 steps per inch.
This requires 40,000 steps per second for 1 inch per second.

I am using a 2 GHZ machine  and I think I can get a higher step per
second output by changing the base period and the associated periods
but I am a little fuzzy on the relationship.  I saw this explained
here sometime in the last few months but I can't find it in my
inbox.  How do I relate max steps per second to base period?   What
is the minimum base period for a given cpu clock speed?

Can someone refresh me on maximum speeds and minimum base periods etc. ?

BTW I really don't need 60 ipm but it looked like a good max speed
and the servo will do it with a squarewave generator input to the
gecko drive.  I could live with half that or so as the max traverse speed.

Thanks,
Cecil