Well, it is hard to say, I think there is a limit to the base period (at
least I saw that in my machines) and it is about  10000 to 15000 ns. If I
decrease it, everything froze. Said that, an approximated formula that gives
you an idea of the needed base period is:

BASE_PERIOD = 1 / ( INPUT_SCALE * MAX_VELOCITY * 2 ) * 10^9

The  value of INPUT_SCALE * MAX_VELOCITY is the max number of step per
second you will need, you double this value to be sure you will be able to
obtain the step per second you need. The inverse is the time in second
between a step and the successive at the max speed doubled. You multiply for
10^9 to obtain ns.

With your data, you should be ok with a Base-Period of 12500, and that
should be ok for your machine.
Dont' forget to update the STEPGEN_MAXVEL value accordingly to the MAX_VEL
value. It should be a little more than the MAX_VEL. Also remember that in
the formula above, you should put the STEPGEN_MAXVEL value and not the
MAX_VEL...

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Manfredi