Chris Mason wrote:

>Can you recommend a low level (downloadable) program for cleaning the disk.
>I'd rather not swap disks around and all that if I can avoid it. I have a
>feeling that you are right and windows somehow left some crap on the system
>that I can't seem to shake.

I'm sure that's not the problem, with one possible exception.

Since you don't get any video from early in the boot sequence, this has
nothing to do with what's on disk.  I suspect you'd get the same result
with no hard disk in the machine.

You said "The problematic pc just goes to a blank screen as soon as the
boot sequence starts."

Does that mean that you see the CD boot menu giving you various options
(boot Ubuntu, boot in safe graphics mode, run memtest, etc), or does it
not even show you that?  If you don't get the boot menu from the CD,
then I'd just double-check that the BIOS is set to boot from CD *before*
hard disk.  Older BIOSes were'nt very good at going on to other boot
options if the chosen boot media didn't work.  The reason you'd have the
blank screen would be that the partition table (which is probably still
valid) would still be set to boot from the first partition, but there's
nothing there to boot.  This situation should result in an error, but
who knows.

A longshot, but I thought I'd mention it :)

- Steve