> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:05:59 -0500
> From: xtra209 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [Emc-users] Is updating EMC@ impossible without internet?
> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>
> Hi,
>
> Updating emc2 seems impossible without an internet connection on the
> machine. Is this true? My trusty USB flash drive means I can transfer
> the files easily from another internet connected machine. I tried
> downloading and copying the 2.2.1 source files and there is no GCC
> compiler in the Ubuntu install so the install failed. I tried to get the
> build-essential turned on in Ubuntu but it seems to require an internet
> connection so that failed.
>
> So far the only way I have successfully updated emc2 is to wait for the
> Live CD and reinstall. Am I missing something or is this just the way it
> is?
>
> And, can a future Live CD include a gcc compiler?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clint
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:36:55 +0200
> From: "Alex Joni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Is updating EMC@ impossible without internet?
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller \(EMC\)"
>       <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
>
> You need to copy the emc2 2.2.1 deb package.
> You can find it here:
> http://www.linuxcnc.org/emc2/dists/dapper/emc2.2/binary-i386/
>
> Maybe if you try to install it (dpkg -i /path/to/emc2_2.2.1_i386.deb) it
> will tell you there are some dependencies missing.
> You should write those down, and write me an email with them.
> You can probably find the missing dependencies at
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/
>
> Regards,
> Alex

Thanks Alex,

I did (dpkg -i /path/to/emc2_2.2.1_i386.deb) and only experienced minor
headaches. I first clicked on the file after putting it in my home
folder. Brought up the package installer which grumbled about
conflicting with the already installed emc2 so I removed the emc2 and
tried again. It still grumbled about conflicting with emc2 so I
rebooted. Then I did a sudo dpkg -i /path/to/emc2_2.2.1_i386.deb. All
went well and the new emc2 is installed without a hitch!

This is on an extra linux machine which I try things out on before
risking my working machine. I think I'm ready to try it on the real deal.

I didn't find the *.deb packages on www.linuxcnc.org because there
doesn't seem to be any indication they exist on the home page. Or I
overlooked something... Now there is a bookmark on my browser for me to use.

> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:23:31 -0600
> From: Jeff Epler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Is updating EMC@ impossible without internet?
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)"
>       <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
>
> apt supports offline operation with the "--print-uris" option.  You can
> find various instructions on how to do this, though I have never tried
> it myself.
>
> e.g.,
> http://olympus.het.brown.edu/cgi-bin/dwww?type=text/plain&location=/usr/share/doc/apt-doc/offline.text.gz
>
> Jeff

Thanks for the heads up on that one Jeff.

> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:24:10 -0600
> From: Jon Elson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Is updating EMC@ impossible without internet?
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)"
>       <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
>
> xtra209 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> And, can a future Live CD include a gcc compiler?
> I'm pretty sure we could fit JUST the gcc compiler on the CD,
> but to put all the delevoper files required to compile EMC2 on
> the CD definitely would not fit.  Maybe somebody could bundle
> all these up and put them on a CD.  I think I actually know
> enough to do this one.  (Gulp, have I just volunteered?)
>
> Jon

Gulp!

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:33:43 +0000
> From: paul_c <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Is updating EMC@ impossible without internet?
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)"
>       <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
>
> On Wednesday 14 November 2007 18:24, Jon Elson wrote:
>> xtra209 wrote:
>>> Updating emc2 seems impossible without an internet connection on the
>>> machine. Is this true?

> True - Either to download packages, or CD images.
>
>>> So far the only way I have successfully updated emc2 is to wait for the
>>> Live CD and reinstall. Am I missing something or is this just the way it
>>> is?
>
> Reinstalling is the Microsoft way. In the world of Linux (and in particular,
> with Debian based distros) just wrong.
>
>>> And, can a future Live CD include a gcc compiler?
>> I'm pretty sure we could fit JUST the gcc compiler on the CD,
>
> If you look on the unmodified Ubuntu CD, you *will* find gcc. What is missing
> from this modified emc2Live is most of the development tools one would
> normally expect. Indeed, in the early days of EMC & CDs, Ray was always
> insistant on tools & libraries being included.

I could easily live without the games and maybe some of the other stuff
not related to running a machine. I don't really need to listen to cd's
while making parts. (The machine is too loud anyway! LOL)

>> but to put all the delevoper files required to compile EMC2 on
>> the CD definitely would not fit. ?Maybe somebody could bundle
>> all these up and put them on a CD.
>
> I have the tools, scripts, and repository mirrors to do just such a task.
> Takes minutes to edit a package list and trigger a full build (which usually
> runs for 30 minutes or so).
>
>> I think I actually know enough to do this one. ?(Gulp, have I just
>> volunteered?)
>
> debmirror & apt-ftparchive man pages will point you in the right direction.
> But DON'T look at the crazy way that emc2 repository tries to mimic a
> Debian/pool layout..

Thanks everyone for the help. I have learned a lot and now know how to
update with my trusty usb flash drive.

Clint