I started down the path of building the Instructible you mentioned. I
even have the metal framework built. However unless you scavenge
everything, the costs will add up. For example, look up the cost of each
of the stepper driver chips mentioned in the instructible. Times that by
three (one for each motor).

I bought a HobbyCNC controller board and motors for $170. A 10A power
supply that I built myself cost another $80. I guess I could have gone
cheaper, but if you scavenge motors from things then you don't know the
torque and you have to work out the wiring yourself (there doesn't
appear to be a standard). I happen to think the HobbyCNC package was a
good deal.

Even getting threaded rod from a place like Ace Hardware is a pain. I
bought a nut and it doesn't go down the rod smoothly. The solution I
suppose is to re-tap the rod, which means buying a tapping kit.

My suggestion is to look at www.fireballcnc.com. The machines are hand
made in the USA, are made with quality parts and are cheap for the
price. Still need to add motors and electronics. These machines have
been used to create PCBs. Currently the maker is offering a nice
discount for the "beta-testers" of his new machine.

There are also plans you can get from people, for example look on
cnczone.com. Check for recommendations/good reviews.

Andy

Andy
PGP Key ID: 0x67090A54