Sean,

An easy way to go for a first project is to us drawer slides for the
guide ways.. Look at http://tinyurl.com/3b6gkf and you may get some
ideas. You can usually pick up suitable drawer slides fairly cheaply and
all you need to do then is to mount them parallel to each other - you
can use hot melt glue for initial positioning before screwing them
down.. You do need to be aware that a machine like this will only be
capable of cutting foam or wax as it won't have the rigidity for
anything harder. If you want to make a more serious machine, you could
consider one of the X-Y table vices from Machine Mart or whatever it is
called in your part of the world, or you could do as I did and look out
for the cross slide/topslide assembly off an old lathe in a scrap yard.
This gives the basis for a very rigid and useful machine. If you can
build your own driver boards I would suggest using a basic L297/L298
chip design which will give you a rugged and reliable half step drive. I
have found Futurelec hard to beat on price for components although they
can be a bit sluggish at dispatching them.

--
Best wishes,

Ian
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield  UK

"The difference between theory and practice is much smaller in theory than in
practice..."