You can grab a 'cheap' KVM from ebay, and a dumpster box to have a 'test
system' on your desk.

It may not be graceful, but if you can have the box in the workshop
running, you can use VNC on
your desktop inside to view what is going on there.  I wouldn't really
CUT anything with it that way,
but for remote use, it works.  Personally I like to have a hardwired
link, but in my place currently
I am using WIFI.

For a box that you don't want to deal with wifi on but have an ethernet
port, I suggest getting
one or two 'wifi external game adapters'.  I just purchased another (I
have one belkin, one USRobotics,
and a 'new to me' linksys' in my house/shop) - the linksys - from
http://3btech.net/li80wigaadbr.html
for $40

The KVM brand I like is a 4 port zonet ... right now they have one I
really like http://3btech.net/fopomidekvmk.html
for about $25 including cables.  It has a place for a power supply, but
it is not needed.  I think it is refurbed too.

For about $65 plus shipping if you already have wifi at home you would
be in good shape.  If no wifi currently
you might want 2 of the game adapters.  Still it probably isn't as cheap
as running an ethernet cable.

I hope some of this helps in getting your infrastructure going so you
can have fun even if the shop is cold.