On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 11:14 PM, tomp <tomp-...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Brian
> the blades are forged or cast ( lotsa hollow passages )
> then details are milled or edm'd
> the blades are welded together into rings ( even with the fancy tree
> locators )
> and machined again
> there some great sites explaining the aero and stationary engines and
> components
> this is great http://www.gentz.net/
> regards
> tomp
>
> That site has aircraft turbines.  Back in the mid nineties, I inspected 2
plants (voith and American Hydro) which were manufacturing the turbines for
the 3 gorges dam.  Your note reminded me that they did also peice them
together.  I just recall the table these things were slowly rotating on as
they milled the outer edges to specifications.  It was quite amazing.

With that event, it would be cool to see some if the large manufacturers
nearby show some of the machining work they have done (York international,
Defense Systems, Shepard Steel, and Harley to name just a few).

Thanks for the link.

Brian