My lathe has a 100 slotted disc on the spindle, with one opto switch
fitted so far, the slot for that is longer than the others and gets me
one pulse per rev. It works fine to 3500 rpm as a rev counter. I want to
add two more opto's to get me an A and B channel to enable spindle
control for threading under EMC. Motor reverse is essential too.

Are there any specifics as to the positioning of the opto's in relation
to each other? Do they need to be only a few slots apart, or more? I
think that the A & B need to be 1/2 slot out of sync - is that correct?

Thanks

Steve Blackmore