On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 21:23 +0100, Steve Blackmore wrote:
> My lathe has a 100 slotted disc on the spindle, with one opto switch
> fitted so far, the slot for that is longer than the others and gets me
> one pulse per rev. It works fine to 3500 rpm as a rev counter. I want to
> add two more opto's to get me an A and B channel to enable spindle
> control for threading under EMC. Motor reverse is essential too.
>
> Are there any specifics as to the positioning of the opto's in relation
> to each other? Do they need to be only a few slots apart, or more? I
> think that the A & B need to be 1/2 slot out of sync - is that correct?
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve Blackmore

Just in case, I've seen some spindle disks using holes, the slots and
fingers should be the same width so that you get a 50% duty cycle.

Another thing comes to mind, as an edge goes by the light has an analog
transition that is "squared up" by the receiver at some on/off and
off/on point. It seems that for DIY encoders you would want to be able
to adjust that on and off trip point, so that you could get a 50% duty
cycle. Although it may not really matter in practice.