On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 13:01 -0500, "Steve Stallings"
<steve...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> The machine is loaned out at the moment, and I don't
> have any pictures. The leadscrew was extended by
> drilling and boring a hole in the end, and then pressing
> in the turned down end of the extension. The other
> end of the extension was turned down to fit a single
> standard bearing, not a preloaded pair. This bearing
> was mounted in a plate attached to the other end
> of the table. All it does is keep the screw from whipping
> around.

One way to tackle something like this would be to drill,
bore, and possibly ream the end of the shaft to take a
standard hardened and ground dowel pin.  Press the pin
into the shaft, leaving enough sticking out to serve as
a precision "stub shaft".  Then use a small, cheap needle
bearing to support the dowel.

John Kasunich
--
  John Kasunich