Steve Stallings wrote:
> My guess is that the screw
> vibrates in the clearance in the nut and anchoring the
> outboard end significantly reduced the ability of the
> screw to move off axis as it vibrated.
Oh, wow!  This sounds like an equivalent of bearing whirl, where the
journal starts rolling around the inside of the bearing like a wheel
instead of just spinning on its axis.  More rigidity ought to help, but
Acme screws were just never designed to handle the speeds we see with
CNC, especially 16 TPI screws.

Jon