open source IS the answer - long term
but open source that works - (like EMC2 works) - I have been pulling my hair
out trying to make zoneminder work - fully half the questions on the forum
are about the same problem - no knows how to fix it - it either works as
installed or it almost works (like Windows automagic)

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Jack <j...@coats.org> wrote:

> But the same can be said for IC engines, with all the addon's, EC modules,
> computers, updates, etc, ... Shadetree mechanics unless they are really
> into it can't do much more than change the oil and check tire pressure
> according to the manufacturers.
>
> There are folks doing full retrofits of cars to electric cars, and the
> parts
> are available (but not down at your local AutoZone).  I wonder if going
> that
> way and having almost 'open source' cars aren't a better way in the future.
> Most of the retrofits gut the IC paraphernalia and go fully electric rather
> than
> hybrid.  Hybrid adds lots of extra 'stuff' to the equation.
>
> In my area many of the 'local garages' are getting out because the cost
> of staying in the game (high cost of electronic tools) is more than their
> business can handle.  It seems you either 'get big' or 'narrowly
> specialize',
> or die.
>
> ><> ... Jack
>

> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Dave <e...@dc9.tzo.com> wrote:
> > I love techie stuff as much as anyone, but don't you wonder what is
> > going to happen in 6-10 years with some of these hybrids?  When the
> > battery packs are shot and the controls are flaking out, and the car is
> > not worth taking to the dealership/stealership for repair work at $100+
> > per hour.    Few shadetree mechanics are going to be able to debug them
> > or be able to afford to replace  the parts.   Most of the shadetree
> > mechanics I have known are not at all comfortable around high voltage
> > DC.  I have similar, but lesser problems now with my Ford 2003 6.0 liter
> > diesel truck right now and it is fairly low tech in comparison.  Some of
> > the engine sensors are > $300 each.  A good price for rebuilt injectors
> > is $200 each - or $1600 for a set.   Major repair estimates from the
> > dealership might was well be rounded out to the nearest $1K.
> >
> > I sometimes wonder if some of these hybrids aren't way over
> engineered.....
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > Jon Elson wrote:

> it
> >>>
> >> The Honda Civic hybrid has some really interesting stuff going on.  They
> can
> >> lock all the valves closed, cylinder by cylinder to control
> displacement.
> >> When it "auto stops" at a traffic light it closes all the valves so the
> >> engine
> >> doesn't shudder when it stops.  You can't even hear it, but it takes at
> >> least 5 seconds
> >> to stop turning.  I think they do the same on startup from the
> >> on-flywheel motor/gen.
> >> Whenever you take your foot off the gas it closes all the valves to
> >> minimize the
> >> engine drag.  They also do stuff with variable valve timing so as to
> >> minimize use
> >> of the throttle plate.

> [...]

The value of goods are expressed in money, while the value of money is
expressed in goods. Money and goods are clearly not the same things, but are
exactly opposite things. Goods are wealth which you have, while money is a
claim on wealth which you do not have. Goods are an asset; Money is a debt.
If goods are wealth; money is clearly not wealth, it is negative wealth,
maybe even anti-wealth. – Quigley, Tragedy and Hope, pg. 44 (emphasis added)