On 19 February 2010 07:12, Belli Button <be...@iafrica.com> wrote:

> Here's a question for those in the know.  I have a 5I20 that I intend to use
> for driving step/dir signals for my stepper motors.  I would like to add
> encoders to the steppers so that I can measure if I have lost any steps at
> some point.  Question is, do I need the 7I33 for encoder inputs?

Not necessarily. You can connect the encoder signals directly to the
5i20 as long as they are the correct (logic level) voltages.
You probably need some sort of signal conditioning though. Even my
home-made encoders which were designed for easy interfacing to the
7i43 have pull-up resistors on the breakout board so that the actual
encoder signals are a current loop rather than a voltage while
travelling around the machine.
(Calling it a breakout board is a bit pretentious, it is a rectangle
of stripboard with headers soldered to it)

> How can I
> get axis to display the desired positon and the encoder position?

I don't know. But does it actually gain you much? If the numbers are
different you need to stop....

--
atp