在 2010-03-11四的 20:17 -0600,Jon Elson写道:
> Alex Joni wrote:
> > BGA's sure are tricky, but you can solder them manually using a hot air
> > system (seen a friend of mine doing it a couple times).
> > the only problem is aligning them, that takes a bit of skill...
> >
> Aligning them could be done with a fixture with a square hole in it.
> But, if the solder balls
> bridge together or fail to connect, you have to take the part off and
> send it out for a $50 reballing procedure.
> I checked at Digi-Key, the OMAP3530 processor chip, alone goes for $84.
> Put the two memory chips on top of it, add all the other stuff, and no
> way could I make a Beagle for under $200.  Obviously, other people can
> get the OMAP for a lot less than I can.
>
> Also, inspecting the BGAs is done with an X-ray inspection system.
> Another "cant do that at home"
> process.

There are two footprints for OMAP3530, one is Beagleboard used small one
include mobile ddr and nand flash, it's really difficult to solder it. I
choose another one, just the OMAP3530, 0.65mm pitch, this kind of
footprint is ok for most of factory. Even for solder factory, the
Beagleboard is not an easy job. I don't think we can manual solder it,
the POP footprint need very strict temperature control.

X-ray machine is very expensive, I use it years ago in the factory which
solder BGA for me.

OMAP3530 running 600M version with big footprint cost about USD 50 for
some samples, TI China donate several of them for free.

For most people, buy a Beagleboard is a better choice I think. I bought
REV B7 last spring.

Regards,
Yanjun Luo.