On 3 August 2010 09:41, Erik Christiansen <dva...@internode.on.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 07:44:06PM +0100, Andy Pugh wrote:

>> I can't help thinking that using a G-code routine (and, in fact,
>> having the ATC defined as an axis) is sub-optimal.
>
> What's the basis for that Andy? The method seems to have worked well for
> Schooner, and it sounds very appealing.

It seems rather like defining the spindle as a rotary axis. It would
work, but would need non-standard G-code.

In general M6 T4 should be all it takes to load T4. In Schooner's
setup he needs to replace all the M6 TN lines with a <m6> oldtool
newtool (If I have read it correctly)
Tool changes will happen very slowly if the max-velocity slider is set
low. That also seems a bit wrong.

> Even with gcode processing being
> single threaded, it'd work well enough for me, I think, since there's
> not a lot of point moving XYZ about until the new tool has been inserted.
> Unless, of course, the tools merely sit in holders off the edge of the
> table, and toolchange is handled by the existing axes.

In the case of a rack-type toolchanger G-code looks like a more
logical way to do it, but there is also some support for such
toolchanges:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?RackToolChanger

> But fun though that would be, it seems hard to beat chucking out the M6
> command and just hoofing about in a subroutine to change tool. It does
> make gcode to <m6> communication a bit of a doddle. ;-)

I am not entirely clear that that is how it works for Schooner. I have
a feeling that he needs to call an <m6> subroutine instead of using
the M6 G-code. I might be wrong, perhaps M-words can be overloaded?

> And anything which obviates the need to use that ladder thing is worth
> whatever it costs, and more, in my case.

I have managed to avoid it so far, though I am sure it is great when
you are used to it.
My approach would have been the HAL module written in comp that I
half-wrote earlier in the thread, used in place of the
hal_manualtoolchanger

--
atp