dambacher-retrofit.de <i...@...> writes:

> Hi Rick
>
> Do you have a tachogenerator or an resolver?
>
> a tachogenerator is like a dynamo giving a sinus voltage/current wich is
> proportional to the revolutions. You can use a rectifier circuit and measuere
> the effective voltage via a/d
>
> A resolver is tricky, you need to excite it with a sinus signal of a given
> frequency and it gives back two sinus signals the max of the amplitude is
> proportional to the angle position (see wikipedia->resolver). You have to
> convert the signal at the peak of the excite sinus (using a triggering signal
> from the sinus generator circuit), the arctan of the amplitude gives the
> angle.
> you could use commecial circuits but  not at that price I think:
> http://www.maccon.de/fileadmin/FTPROOT/2785500.pdf
>
> bye
> Ulf

No, neither.  I have made a few tachometers using Atmel microcontrollers.  The
sensor, either a hall effect or optical, just sends pulses and the
microcontroller counts them up and handles the display.  Another one I made had
counter chips and the microcontroller basically just handled the display part.

I would like emc2 to do the counting and display.  It seems simple enough, I
just haven't found anything in the docs that describes it.

Worst case, I could just take one of my existing tachs and have the serial
output sent into ttyS00 and then a standalone program would handle the display,
but can't emc2 handle it ?

Rick