dambacher-retrofit.de wrote:
> Hi Jon
>
> I wonder if the emc realtime compartibility layer can be adapted to native
> linux
> realtime using rt_preemt. Maybe this is a solution for future support of non
> x86
> emc
RT-preempt is conceivably good enough for some servo systems, it is
guaranteed never
to be good enough for software step generation. I have seen numbers
indicating that
modern (2 GHz or so) CPUs could reliably get jitter down to tens of us
on some motherboards,
with a fair bit of effort. Just look on the rt-preempt HOWTO site and
they show the demo
with 86 us worst-case jitter on the highest priority task. (This assumes
I am reading the
chart correctly.) Most systems that work at all with RTAI have jitter in
the range of 10 us.

Jon