Still undecided as how to resolve the tool change challenge.

I am deliberating on two solutions

Option #1 Use a DC servomotor like a Homeshops 850 oz-in

and a drive like the Gecko 320. This will allow positioning the

spindle with plenty of accuracy and spin my cutter at around 3,000

RPM. Since the Gecko drive has a step and direction input I hope to

be able to reconfigure the HAL code to use A step generator to control

the spindle rather than the PWM generator.

The one downside is less horsepower than I would like. Using the

servomotors I have seen with a gecko 320 delivers a shaft power output

less than 1HP, I would prefer 2HP. I continue looking for alternative

motors and drives that could provide more HP.  Suggestions welcome!

Option #2 Use a Variable frequency drive like a Durapulse GS3 this has

A flux vector mode (as suggested by Andy also thanks for the video clip)

and a inverter grade induction motor. I have talked with techs that work

for vendors of these types of drives and have received conflicting opinions

as to whether I could position the spindle with enough accuracy for my

tool change. I suspect this would work but it could also be an expensive

disappointment!

It would be very helpful if I could locate some one who has real world

experience using these new variable frequency drives, particularly if they

are using EMC2 also.