On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 06:21:03PM -0800, Gary McRobert wrote:

> Still undecided as how to resolve the tool change challenge.

I think you are asking about how to do spindle orient.

Having used machines with vfd+pid orient and machines with mechanical
orient and lock, I have to say the mechanical scheme wins, hands down.

A full servo spindle would orient fine -- but if you don't have it, I
suggest trying hard to come up with a mechanical orient stop, and use
the "jog" feature of the vfd to get there.  It should have a switch so
when it's done the vfd can know to stop jogging.

Chris