On Sun, 2010-12-26 at 17:22 -0800, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> The rain came and put a 1/8" of water across the whole shop, then sunny
> the next day and turned the shop into a sauna on freezing cold steel.
> Only the few cruddy parts of my machines escaped the rust. I'm _really_
> pissed with mother nature right now, but I guess I should be thankful,
> it could be worse (don't know how, oops more rain Tuesday). If my
> machines were dirty I'd be okay.

Thanks for the replies. Usually (almost always), it is fairly dry here
in the Eastern CA hills, so this problem doesn't present itself often.
Actually, after the rain the outside air was pretty dry, but with the
water inside the shop, the air being closed up, and the machines being
cold, it was a prefect storm, so to speak. I didn't go down to the shop
for a couple of days, and it didn't occur to me to check (Dooh). When I
did get down there, I thought a heater would make it worse, so I opened
the doors and windows, ran fans and the wet/dry vac to get as much water
out as I could. I have tried to not have any thing on the floor if I
could help it, but I have far too much stuff, in far too small a space.
All of the cardboard boxes on the floor have gotten wet and are slumping
and things inside are getting ruined. I can't get to many of them.

It may be that an automatic heater could keep the machines warm enough
but they would need to be warmed before the humidity comes. A
dehumidifier would be nice, but you don't see many of them around these
parts, I'll have to look into it. Energy cost is pretty high, to me at
least, so I'll need to be mindful of efficiency.

My heart goes out to those that have to deal with real flooding,
tornadoes, hurricanes, and the like.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html