I have used the IRAMS.  It's very simple to use.  I was driving it
with a dSpace control system, so it's not really a diy project from
that point of view.  My main concern was not blowing up the control
with the driver.

I really wanted to convert my circuit over to drive servos using a
control I could afford myself.  The control algorithm I used requires
current feedback, so 3 analog inputs are required.  I used Hall effect
current sensors for feedback, but I was looking at some Allegro chips
for that since they are far cheaper/cleaner to use.

In the end, the only thing interesting I learned out of the whole
experience was that it's fairly easy to use one of the sensorless
techniques to find the best commutation angle for your motor.  I never
got around to implementing commutation using the Hall tracks of the
encoder.
Eric