Igor Chudov wrote:
> The bad news is that the parallel port chipset that is on my new PC's
> motherboard, does not want to talk to PPMC when two encoder boards are
> installed in PPMC.
>
> The good news is that this is the problem with the motherboard's parallel
> port chipset, and the proof of it is that my old decrepit Dell PC can talk
> to PPMC with two encoder boards, just fine.

Yes, the mess of EPP timing varying wildly from one motherboard to
another has been
a HUGE pain in the rear, dating to 2002 or so.
> The 4th axis rotary table works pretty well, except it rotates backwards
> instead of forward, but that's a minor, separate story.

Just invert the sign of INPUT_SCALE and OUTPUT_SCALE.
> Since the old Dell PC is falling apart and is just not powerful enough, I
> would like to somehow make my new PC talk to PPMC.
>
> To that end, I thought to install a PCI parallel port card into the new PC.
>
> This, naturally, brings up two questions.
>
> 1) Would you recommend some honestly made, reliable, and preferably low
> profile PCI parallel card?

I use a Siig, but these old ones I have need a Windows 95 program to set
them to EPP mode.
PCI4008A-based ports also work well.  ITE and NetMOS chips seem to have
been a problem.
> 2) If I install a second card, how would my PC see it? With a different I/O
> address (not 378?). How do I find out that I/O number?

Generally, use lspci to find the ranges of addresses, then try them.
Often parport cards have
two address ranges, even if they only have one port brought out.

Jon