On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 11:15 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
... snip
> Every multi-IO chip has its own way of interpreting the
> incredibly lax specs of the IEEE-1284 protocol.  Some boards put the
> data and WRITE/ signal out first, then provide the strobe pulse.  Some
> put them out at the same time, one I saw actually put out the data and
> WRITE/ AFTER the strobe!  Well, how much delay do you need to be sure
> the data and WRITE/ are stable?  Who knows!!  So, all this keeps me
> hopping whenever a new multi-IO chip comes out.

This link:
http://www.beyondlogic.org/epp/epp.htm

seems to indicate that one only needs to do a write to the EPP Data or
Address register to do an EPP transfer. There doesn't seem to means to
"put" the card into EPP mode. What am I missing?

Bi-directional SPP seems to be the most reliable since the driver has
access to the entire transfer process. It is slower, but it might be
fast enough for many applications.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html