On Thursday, January 27, 2011 01:26:18 pm Kirk Wallace did opine:

> On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 11:15 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
> ... snip
>
> > Every multi-IO chip has its own way of interpreting the
> > incredibly lax specs of the IEEE-1284 protocol.  Some boards put the
> > data and WRITE/ signal out first, then provide the strobe pulse.  Some
> > put them out at the same time, one I saw actually put out the data and
> > WRITE/ AFTER the strobe!  Well, how much delay do you need to be sure
> > the data and WRITE/ are stable?  Who knows!!  So, all this keeps me
> > hopping whenever a new multi-IO chip comes out.
>
> This link:
> http://www.beyondlogic.org/epp/epp.htm

Good Grief!  ISWYM by incredibly sloppy.

> seems to indicate that one only needs to do a write to the EPP Data or
> Address register to do an EPP transfer. There doesn't seem to means to
> "put" the card into EPP mode. What am I missing?

I _could_ interpret that data as saying any EPP mode transfer must be
prefaced by those writes to the EPP data or address registers, and it would
be ok.  That seems to indicate that it is intrinsically a slower mode
because of the apparent need to trigger the EPP mode on a per read or per
write basis. What were they smoking when that spec was written?, I'd like
to try some of that stuff.

--
Cheers, Gene
<http://tinyurl.com/ddg5bz>