Roland Jollivet wrote:
> I see. And is the time stamp used as an integral part of the EMC
> calculation? Or rather, does the Pluto interface for example, also supply
> the same info?
>
> What I'm also wanting to know is;
> If a system has 4 axis, that's 4 x (4x8) bytes to read per sample (=128
> bytes)

Math error! :)
You don't read (4*8) bytes per axis, it's 4 bytes or 4*8 bits.  At least
for the encoders on a Mesa system.  Reading 4 encoders at 32 bits each
is 16 bytes, which takes around 16 microseconds over EPP (it's a couple
of microseconds for any reasonable PCI system).
> Is it practical(for a low cost encoder board) to have only 8bits per
> encoder. Since each sample is now only a 4 byte read, the sample rate could
> be far higher, and the hardware becomes a lot simpler.

A 4 byte read is only 4 bytes less than an 8 byte read, and it only
saves around 4 microseconds over an EPP bus.  The reduction in possible
count rate is pretty terrible.

You would have to increase the servo cycle rate (or at least the encoder
read rate) by a factor of 256 to be able to support the same count rates
as a 16-bit encoder register.  That involves 256 times the number of
bytes being transferred.  By making the read take twice as long, you
don't have to increase the rate at which that thread runs, and the total
number of reads is actually around 1/128 as much.  In other words, a
16-bit count is enough that you can use a 1-2 ms servo cycle without
really being concerned about a counter overrun.  If you reduced the
count to 8 bits, you would need to read the encoder register 256 timed
as often to support the same count rate.  Say your encoder will only
move 2000 counts in 1ms.  An 8-bit counter can only count +127/-128
counts, so you would need to read an 8-bit encoder counter16 times every
millisecond to just barely handle that rate.  You're reading 1 byte16
times instead of 2 bytes one time.  Loads more data transfer needed for
the "simpler" case.

- Steve